Summer is slowly coming to a close though the temperatures are still downright muggy and hot. August is the time of year when most of your gardening work should be done either in the early morning or late in the evening when it’s cooler. There are plenty of things to do in your garden this month; here are a few worthwhile tasks to keep your lawn and garden beautiful.
Lawn Maintenance in August
- Protect your grass from the heat of the sun by allowing it to grow a little longer. Keep the blades on your lawn mower at it’s highest setting. This will also help keep you out of the heat. It’s natural if you get a few dry, brown patches this time of the year, so don’t be too worried about them.
- This is the time of year to prepare your lawn for fall grass seed planting. Level out the low spots, order grass seeds, and get rid of any weeds popping through your turf. If you have had a good amount of rainfall this summer it would be a great time to fertilize it.
- Aerate your lawn to open up the soil and add much-needed oxygen. This will help to soften the soil, so minerals can penetrate deeper into the ground. This will help your roots to strengthen providing you with denser, greener grass.
Fruit and Vegetable Gardens
- Nothing tastes better than food grown yourself. Your fall vegetable and herb garden seeds and starters should be planted this month.
- Harvest your crop and start canning, freezing, and enjoying the fruits of your labors.
- Pick up any fallen fruit from trees and destroy them. This will help prevent infestations.
Annuals and Perennials
- Divide overgrown plants and transplant or get rid of any extras. This is best during the cooler parts of the day, especially in shady parts of your yard.
- Get rid of pests such as aphids, spider mites, and whiteflies with a simple squirt of water from your garden hose.
- Treat sick plants and remove diseased foliage before they drop to the ground.
- Take cuttings and collect seeds.
- Deadhead your blooms to keep them blooming.
Maintain and Plan Ahead
- Keep your plants hydrated by watering them early in the morning. Getting leaves wet in the hot sun can burn them.
- This is a good time of year to add mulch and compost. This will help cool down your garden and get it prepared for fall plantings.
- Weeding is important. Stop weeds from taking up valuable nutrients by keeping on top of them.
- Planning next spring’s garden is always enjoyable. This is a great time to place orders for spring bulbs, and to order any shrubs and bushes for fall planting.
- Take pictures of plants that you like while they are in full bloom. This will help you enormously while planning next year’s garden.
- Get ready for your fall garden!
Environmental Turf Management is Atlanta’s premier lawn services company. Contact us today to know about our services and what we can do to make your lawn the envy of the neighborhood.